2016. december 7.

Snows and Shows

I haven’t written in a long while, eh? I know, I know…
The first remarkable thing that happened in the last 4 weeks was the country presentation I held about Hungary for fellow Erasmus-students on the 22nd November. As an Erasmus-student, I’m all alone here as Hungarian, but it turned out on last Monday that there is a whole Association for Hungarians in Ostrava in the city centre; that is a great piece of news for me but even better for my friend, Misi, who is a Slovakian-born Hungarian and studies here as a regular student since September. There are a few more Hungarian students here that they know about (for example a girl at the Medical University) so I believe it’ll be useful for him to meet them (I’ll go home for Christmas and only come back for my exams so not a big issue for me). Once again, I had a country presentation about Hungary, which was simply my regular style but people said it was very funny (that was my final aim) yet they could (hopefully) learn something about my beautiful, small country.
The second remarkable thing was the figure skating show Kings On Ice on the 30th November we went to see with Dasha. Klaudia (my roommate) originally wanted to come with us but it cost 699 CZK (~26€) and she just came home from Budapest, then travels somewhere almost every weekend from now on (yeaah, this is how some live their Erasmus here, there’s not really much to see around Ostrava so they travel around Europe), so she decided not to join us this time. Us three have a movie-watching group either way so we spend enough time together.
The show was at the total other end of the city, and it started snowing around the time we left the dormitory. Fun fact: it always snows here when something interesting/important happens, and melts by the end of the next day. But back to the topic: we arrived safe and sound, found out places, and even if our videos are horrible quality (when you buy the cheapest ticket don’t expect better) we could at least see everything perfectly and enjoy the 2-hours-long show of figure skaters from all around Europe (but of course most of them were Russians, how surprising), the main attraction being Evgeni Plushenko with Edvin Marton’s live violin music (who happens to be a Ukrainian-born Hungarian by the way); and our second favourite show was (of course Plushenko was the best of the bests in our hearts too) Chris (ok, I can’t remember the dude’s name, but he totally looked like our Chris) skating for Bruno Mars’ song Uptown Funk (that is a double love for me, that was the freshmen’s song at the freshmen’s camp at my home university). By the time we went home the snow was big enough to make a snowman, so welcome Bill:

The third remarkable event happened yesterday. With 2 other English-major Erasmus-students (Magda and Jola, both from Poland) we tried to get to the English Language Theatre of the university but we were a little late to join, but yesterday we could see the final version of the musical they were working at: a part from Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Compared to the fact that they were not professionals, the show was great, and just as hilarious as it’s supposed to be. It was snowing again so I went for a walk in the evening before it melted again, leaving this place just as depressing as it is.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése